Nightmares

Last night I had a nightmare that was composed of different scenes from movies I watched on Netflix just a few hours earlier. I watched a documentary called The Revisionaries, about the Texas School Board and their textbook standards, followed by Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn, and then The Substitute with Tom Berenger as a mercenary soldier turned substitute teacher to go after a thug student who kneecapped the merc's girlfriend.

My nightmare was from the point of view of a victim of theft and robbery. I woke up still thinking my car was stolen and had to actually tell myself verbally that it was just a dream.

The movie clips were chosen by my brain for visual references to the emotional concoction my brain created as it achieved chemical homeostasis in my sleep. That's how dreams seem to operate. It might be that when we sleep, our brains releases excess chemicals stored up that were not used during the course of waking life. Most of us are lucky to be in a state of sleep torpor during dream time, while others unfortunately sleepwalk or flail about during their dreams. Most of us have seen the YouTube video of the dog running in his sleep.

When the brain chemicals are released in our sleep, they are released in an uncontrolled fashion, starting a bizarre combination of brain activity. This bizarre brain activity defies logic and defies our memories of the laws of physics to which we are so accustomed. Sometimes they inspire new inventions, but mine are mostly false emotions that last throughout the following day of victimhood. Being robbed, chased and beaten. Finding my car missing from its parking spot and not knowing if I just forgot where I parked it or it was stolen.

Even now as I write this I know it was just a dream, but the horrible sinking feeling from the false experience stirs again. Today I will defy this falsely created fear and go experience reality in places that closely resemble those of my nightmares. Reality should break the hold my nightmares create. Once the spell is broken by the experience of reality,